Monday, June 14

The Twon Diet

(A continuation of my last post)

This diet starts with exercise. I am going to be exercising 5 days a week as I was. I'm aiming for M-F as this best fits my schedule, but I'll squeeze a weekend day out if I need to.

These are the new rules on which I will do my best to adhere. It won't be that different from where I was, except:

I will be incorporating whole grain carbs into my diet. I'd like to incorporate whole oats into my breakfast, whole multigrain bread into my lunches and maybe some couscous or quinoa or brown rice into my dinners. There will be no regular pasta, no pizza, and no refined starches as much as humanly possible.

Sugar is still out. I don't like it, and I will only intake as much as I did on a low carb diet. (I'm not gonna freak over sugar in tomato sauce or toasted almonds, but no candy bars, soda, and deserts. Again, for now.)

I'm going to try to eat less meat, replacing with veggie protein sources. Hut I still don't believe fat is an enemy when eating correctly and will not by high-carb lesser fat things. But this is something I will tailor as I go along.

And as much as possible, processed foods are out and whole foods are in. If its something I buy in a plastic wrapper and shove straight into my mouth, I probably don't want it.

So that's that. I'm going to aim for 2500 calories a day (I'm a big guy) and hopefully work 400 or so those off exercising. I will not be a calorie nazi, but I will be calorie aware.

In an ideal world, I'd like to be able to use my common sense and knowledge to just eyeball food options and make the best one without weighing and counting everything, but I accept that that is the dieters burden. We shall see. 3 weeks.

And this is me, back on the horse.

6 comments:

Tricia said...

I think I'm gonna modify low-carb to include fruit. The idea of going all summer without a big ol' wedge of watermelon has me headed to the nearest bridge to end it all. God, summer is hard!

Sharon said...

I think you're smart to take a more moderate approach to low-carbing. The whole grains and fruit will break up the monotony and help keep you on track!

Missa said...

I would suggest that you make a committment to move everyday, even if it is just for 5 minutes. Why limit yourself to M-F, when you have 7 days of opportunity to make it happen and have extra wins. Spread it out babe!

Cheers,
Missa
LosingEthel

NewGilmoreGirl said...

This sounds very reasonable to me! I love that you are going to start adding in whole grains and fruits and will be eating less meat. All positive changes! You can do this. :-)

Big Clyde said...

Cool, Twon. I am a sucker for a plan, any plan. It shows focus and commitment. Day by day, Twon. You will do great.

S. said...

Luckily, I've been blessed with a great metabolism, but in recent years with the arthritis, lack of martial arts lessons, and new job which requires me to sit at a computer for many hours a day, I've now gained weight that I don't want.

I've tried a few different things, low/no carbs, all carbs, etc. What I've found is that you can pretty much eat all the fresh/raw veggies you want, try to keep meat intake to small portions and not every day, and stick to things like Syrian bread instead of traditional loaf type things + moderate exercise and the pounds fly right off. Oh, and no snacking...that's the biggie. I learned that when my jaw was dislocated and I was forced to only eat when I really had to. The snacks that you don't notice are what really keeps your weight up.

Big breakfast, maybe a lunch snack (not a lunch) and a light dinner. Lots of water all around. I try to get out for a walk every day...your body burns more calories walking than running.